Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
In Total Knee Replacement, whole cartilage and bone is removed from the knee joint, and a single metal and plastic implant (Prosthesis) is substituted. In the process, the surgeon replaces three parts of the knee joint.
The two parts of the prosthesis are placed onto the ends of the femur, tibia, and under surface of the patella using special bone cement. Usually, metal is used on the end of the femur, and plastic is used on the tibia and patella for the new knee surface. However, with the availability of advanced substitutes, surgeons are now using newer surfaces, including metal on metal or ceramic on ceramic.
Book Your Appointment for Total Knee Replacement Surgery in India.
Situations when TKR is helpful
- Pain that limits activities such as walking, climbing stairs and getting in and out of chairs, or even moderate or severe knee pain at rest
- Restricted knee function or mobility, such as chronic knee stiffness and swelling that prevents one from bending and straightening the knee
- Failure of other methods to improve symptoms, like resting, weight loss, physical therapy, a cane or other walking aid, medications, braces and surgery, etc.
- Knee deformity, such as a joint that bows in or out
Reasons for Failure of Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
Like any other mechanical prosthesis (implant), knee implant also has a possibility of failure/malfunction. There are several reasons which may attribute to the failure of the prosthesis.
Some of the major ones are:
- Aseptic loosening of the joint
- Plastic wear
- Mal-alignment or instability of the joint
- Bad quality of the implant
At Shalby Hospitals, under the expertise and guidance of Dr. Vikram Shah, who is credited with the Surgical Process innovation “Zero Technique”, the Total Knee Replacement procedures give excellent and incomparable results. The surgery relieves knee pain and allows easy walking after full recovery. Shalby Multi-specialty Hospitals today enjoys the reputation of performing over 1,00,000 Joint Replacement surgeries.
Total Hip Replacement (THR)
Walk Your Life – The Normal Way
Total Hip Replacement (THR) is a surgical process wherein your damaged socket will be reshaped and an artificial socket will be implanted in your bone. The material (prosthesis) used for this can be Polyethylene, Metal or Ceramic. This decision depends on the quality of bone, your age and the surgeon’s choice. The femoral head is replaced by metal or ceramic.
Different types of prosthetic material are available now and the surgeon will chose the ideal material for you. The final decision will be taken during the surgery. Experience and scientific research literature guide the surgeon for selecting the correct prosthesis. Younger patients will be given un-cemented Hip replacement, whereas elderly patients will be considered for cemented Hip replacement.
Total HIP Replacement Surgery
Hip replacement is a major surgical procedure. Like in any other major surgeries, there is a possibility of complications in Hip Replacement as well. However, the complications are very minor in general. Infection and clot formation in veins are some of the possible complications. The best way to avoid these complications is to strictly follow your doctor’s advice.
After the surgery, you will be able to walk in two days with the help of a walker. You will have to use the walker for four to six weeks. After that you will use a stick for the next two weeks or till you feel confident of walking without the stick.
For ensuring a long life for the newly replaced joint, you should not squat down in an Indian toilet, sit on the floor or sit cross-legged (lotus position). Your newly replaced joint will allow this type of mobility, however, it is recommended to avoid such positions for your own benefit.
Book Your Appointment for Total Hip Replacement Surgery & Treatment in India.
Blog/Tips of the day
Osteoporosis – Especially Women must know about this Silent KillerOsteoporosis is defined as the health condition in which the bones become weak that can increase the risk of abrupt and accidental fractures. As a word, osteoporosis stands for "porous bone," that causes increased loss of bone strength and mass. In most cases, osteoporosis progresses gradually and causes no symptoms... Read More
Total Hip Replacement – Yesterday and TodayMany individuals around the world suffer from issues requiring Total Hip Replacement surgery. Total Hip Replacement (THR) refers to the surgical replacement of the hip joint with a prosthetic implant. There is a long history of the development of hip implants. Early Days: In 1821, a surgeon at London’s Westminster... Read More
- Dr. Shrirang Deodhar MBBS,MS(Ortho)Vijay Shalby, Ahmedabad,Naroda Shalby, Ahmedabad,Krishna... Read MoreDr. Amish Kshatriya M. S. OrthopaedicsVijay Shalby, Ahmedabad,Krishna Shalby, Ahmedabad,SG... Read MoreDr. Ashish Sheth M. S. OrthopaedicsIndore Shalby,Vijay Shalby, Ahmedabad,Krishna Shalby,... Read More
- Dr. Deep N Shah Consultant ORTHOPAEDIC AND ARTHROSCOPIC SURGEONNaroda Shalby, Ahmedabad, Read MoreDr. Kush Vyas Sr. Consultant Joint ReplacementSurat Shalby, Read More
Center Of Excellence
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Obesity Surgery
- Neuro Science
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Spine Surgery
- Radiology and Imaging
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Plastic Surgery
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Knee Joint Replacement
- ENT Surgery
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Emergency Medicine
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Gastroentero Surgery
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Infertility and IVF
- Infectious Diseases
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Liver Transplant in India
- Hair Transplant
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Organ Donation