What Is Hair Transplant Surgery?
Posted On: March 31, 2020
Also known by the name Hair Restoration Surgery, Hair Transplant Surgery is a surgical procedure through which hair can be restored on the bald parts of the scalp. Doctors transfer the hair from the donor to the recipient’s sites of the scalp. Some areas of the scalp are not prone to hair fall, for instance, the back portion of the head. Hence hair follicles are picked from these areas. The two main types of hair transplant surgeries are described (in brief) below.
FUT or Follicular Unit Transplantation- The surgical procedure involves the stripping of an area of the scalp follicles and then dissecting them in to individual grafts. The naturally occurring hair groups may contain 1 to 4 hair strands, and these transplanted units are also called follicular units.
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction - In this kind of surgery, individual hair units are picked and transplanted. However, other procedures of the surgical process remain the same as FUT.
When is hair transplant required?
Hair fall is a common problem witnessed by men. It may occur due to environmental, genetic, or other factors. Men who work in stressful environments are affected more by hair fall. Therefore, hair transplant surgeries are now common in India. Because hair fall may affect professional and personal life adversely, you may need to undergo treatment, including hair transplant surgery.
Apart from adults, youngsters are also undergoing the problem of hair fall. Patches of hair scattered around the scalp or other kinds of hair fall instances may lead to a shabby look. You can easily choose a reputed hair fall treatment hospital in India to overcome the problem, and the treatment cost is also quite nominal.
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction is a popular and advanced unisex hair fall/baldness treatment, offered in India. The surgical process is fast and effective, and there are no hassles involved. People from other parts of the world can also undergo hair fall treatment in India, and the cost is quite less as compared to prices abroad. In this advanced technique, individual hair follicles are extracted by using of high precision and sharp punches. They are then immediately transplanted back into the bald areas of the scalp. Strip harvesting may be a bit more painful, but FUE may leave linear scars on the scalp regions, which are quite small.
Medical issues with hair transplant surgery
Before the surgery begins, the patient should discuss certain aspects with the doctor.
• Physical condition - The doctor will examine the physical condition of the patient to decide whether he can undergo the surgery.
• Prior medical history - Doctors also want to know about the previous medical history of the patient so that the surgery can be successful. For instance, it helps doctors to select the type of anaesthetic they should use during the procedure. The doctor will also check whether you are on any medications, and which medications you might be allergic to etc.
• strong>Hair and scalp evaluation - The evaluation reveals the growth pattern of hair, family history of the hair loss, baldness, hairless extent, and whether the patient has undergone any hair transplant earlier etc.
• Evaluation of risks and complications.
• Instructions for preparing for the surgery.
What are the top techniques followed in India for Hair Transplant?
The Indian doctors and hair transplant experts follow two different kinds of surgeries for hair transplants. These include the micro graft and the stilt graph technique. The stilt graph technique is usually employed in cases when a larger head surface area is bald. In this scenario, grafts that may contain five or more hair (up to 10) may be transplanted at a time. The technique is useful in instances where lesser coverage of the bald scalp only needs to be covered. In the case of micro graft, a graft will consist of 1 or 2 hair follicles only.
The two main hair transplantation procedures that are popular in India are given below:
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction - Thousands of secure and small punch incisions are done for cutting the hair follicles from the back area of the head. Because, usually the back portion of the head does not suffer from hair fall. The hair transplant surgeon will then make small punctures in the scalp where the hair needs to be transplanted by using a special surgical needle. The extracted follicles are placed at their new places then. After the grafting process, the head areas are covered with bandages, and the follicles and scalp heal quickly in some time. The cost of this hair transplant procedure is much less when compared to other methods, even during multiple settings.
FUT or Follicular Unit Transplantation - During this procedure, the surgeon will identify an area on the scalp's back portion. This portion contains hair with an optimal amount of growth. The surgeon then removes the long grafts of the skin by using a scalpel. These hairs are then transplanted individually on the bald areas of the hair. The cost of the FUT procedure is more than the FUE procedure.
Types of hair transplants offered in India?
Hair transplant in India was not a widespread technique till some time back. However, methods have changed dramatically in the past decade. The clinics offering them are across cities and metropolitans now. The demand for these clinics and hair transplant treatment is increasing as more and more men are getting affected by hair fall due to factors such as stress, anxiety, sedentary lifestyle, pollution, nutrient-deficient diet, and others. The cost may be as low as INR 30,000, which is welcoming news for even the low-earning sections of the society.
Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE is an ultra-modern and advanced treatment for hair fall offered at leading hospitals in India. FUT or Follicular Unit Transplant and the strip harvesting method are also used for this. Because both surgeons and patients prefer FUE, it is a widely offered treatment, and its cost is also quite less. FUE is a slow and less painful procedure.
Another treatment measure for hair transplants is DHI. The procedure carries a cost of INR 2 lakhs, which may go up to INR 5 lakhs. While some other low cost treatments may be offered, the certified and reputed surgeons advise people not to trust such treatment.
Top Clinics/Destinations for Hair Transplant in India
Indians travel to all places of the country in search of a reputed and leading hair transplant service and treatment provider in India. The location of the clinic is essential for the comfort of the patient, and he/she may also save on unnecessary expenditures by availing the best treatment close to his home.
Hospital Name:SG Shalby
Address: Opp. Karnavati Club, S G Road, Ahmedabad -380015, Gujarat, India.
Tel: +91 79 40203000,
Hospital Name:Krishna Shalby
Address:319-Green City, Ghuma, Via Bopal, Ahmedabad - 380058, Gujarat, India
Mobile: +91 98250 22554, 97241 55522, 98250 22188
Hospital Name:Shalby Naroda
Adress:Near 108 Center, Off. Naroda Dehgam Road, Haridarshan Cross Road,New Naroda, Ahmedabad - 382330 Gujarat, India
Hospital Name:Shalby Indore
Address:Part 5 & 6, Race Course Road, R S Bhandari Marg, Janjeerwala Square, Indore-452003, Madhya Pradesh, India
Tel: 0731- 66 77777
Mobile: +91 9174400111, +91 7049918800
Address:Chitrakoot, Sector No. 3, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Tel: + 91 7698000947
Mobile: +91 9057901410
The success rate of hair transplant in India
A cosmetic surgical procedure has enormous importance for those who undergo it. The method for hair fall treatment has a 98% success rate when performed under the supervision of leading hair fall therapists and surgeons. Below are some ways in which you can increase the success rate of your hair transplant surgery:
• Choose a hair transplant service provider after doing some research and enquiry. A single factor can enhance the chances of success manifold. The expert surgeons offer services at renowned hospitals. They will give the details of the exact process and an honest picture of the situation and will provide you with ample valuable information beforehand.
• You should also be aware of your expectations and should talk to a surgeon regarding them directly.
• The success of the hair fall surgery is judged after a year of its completion. While the surgeon is responsible for the success of the operation to a great extent, the patient should also follow the instructions carefully.
What is the recovery process after hair transplant in India?
Because the hair transplant procedures do not require any stitches, the recovery of the patient can be quick and without any discomfort. Once the surgery is over, the follicles get sealed by using a protective bandage, which facilitates healing. The doctor prescribes the patient certain medications so that he does not face any pain. Antibiotics are prescribed so that there are no chances of infection. The patient also needs to return to the doctor on the date provided so that the bandages are removed. Sometimes, patients complain of swelling, for which the surgeon may prescribe certain anti-inflammatory medicines. Medicines that strengthen hair follicles and help proper hair growth over some time may also be prescribed.
Self-care after hair transplant surgery
The surgeon will provide all the instructions that the patient needs to follow post-surgery. Some of the guidelines prescribed commonly include:
• Avoid all kinds of strenuous activities and exercises, which would increase blood pressure. This may result in bleeding of the newly formed wounds. You may also be asked to avoid sexual activities for ten days.
• Follow all the guidelines and instructions for caring for your wounds.
These instructions are provided only for a given period, and you do not need to follow them forever. There is complete hair restoration, and the health of the patient is not affected in any way.
Things to consider before hair transplant surgery
There are certain factors to be considered by the patient before he undergoes a hair transplant surgical procedure.
• You should not have unrealistic expectations. If you do not have some amount of hair as of now, the hair transplant surgery will not give you a scalp with dense hair, because the transplanted hair is derived from the scalp of the patient only. That is why you should go for hair transplant surgery as soon as possible.
• Grey/light-colored hair gives better results as compared to dark/thin hair.
• It may take a maximum of nine months for the hair to catch their roots firmly and grow again.
• Your health insurance policy may or may not provide compensation for hair transplant surgery. When the hair loss occurs due to trauma or burns, hair transplant is considered as a reconstructive process, and the insurance company may pay for the treatment. In other cases, when hair transplant surgery is undertaken as a cosmetic treatment, insurance coverage may not be available. However, you may check with your Insurance provider.
• Smokers may face additional risks. Quit smoking if you want to undergo hair transplant surgery.
• In some cases, medicines may be prescribed for some time.
Are there any side-effects of a hair transplant?
Some side-effects (minor and temporary) of hair transplant surgery include:
• Swelling in certain scalp portions
• Bruised eyes
Hair continues to grow after the transplant is over. As said earlier, your hair transplant surgeon may prescribe you a few medications, if any side effects occur. For instance, ibuprofen may be prescribed for pain, while antibiotics are prescribed for treating infections. Other medications, including minoxidil and finasteride, may be prescribed for stimulating hair growth.
What is the long-term outlook?
All people who undergo a hair transplant have continuing hair growth, on the transplanted hair and sections of the scalp. The hair density of the transplanted scalp may be affected due to factors like:
• Hair curls
• Hair density in the newly transplanted hair zone of the scalp
• Hair quality and hair caliber
• Follicle density
For those who do not get high-quality laser therapy and treatment for hair loss, there can be fewer chances of success. Also, in some instances taking medications, including finasteride or minoxidil, might be necessary. Therefore, it is highly essential to undergo hair loss treatment at a leading hospital, under the care and supervision of experts.
Also, do remember to discuss the expected outcomes before the treatment starts, so that you only have realistic expectations.
Hair transplant in India
The most exceptional hospitals and clinics provide hair transplant therapy treatment in India, and under the supervision, care, and therapy of leading surgeons and doctors. When compared to the world, the cost of hair transplant in India is quite low and reasonable.
Estimated hair transplant cost in India
Around 1.8 million Indians are suffering from hair loss. The treatment is being offered in most parts of India, in all cities and metropolitan areas. Hair transplant cost in India is commonly calculated on a per graft basis, where one graft of hair may contain 1 to a maximum of 3 hair follicles.
Female hair transplant- how much does it cost?
Females in all countries can benefit from world-class hair transplant hospitals in India, where the treatment is offered at a nominal cost. In female hair transplant surgery, only small hair follicle accumulations are transferred from one section of the head to another. The hair thus transplanted grows naturally as well. Women never suffer from baldness as men do. But in some cases, hair loss may occur in females, in small patches. Females from across the world come to India for hair transplant surgery.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Center Of Excellence
- Knee Replacement in Jaipur
- Knee Replacement in Indore
- Knee Replacement in Surat
- Knee Replacement in Jabalpur
- Knee Replacement in Ahmedabad
- Organ Donation
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Hair Transplant
- Liver Transplant
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility and IVF
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Gastroentero Surgery
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- ENT Surgery
- Knee Joint Replacement
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Radiology and Imaging
- Spine Surgery
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Neuro Science
- Obesity Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury