Cataract Eye Surgery: Things You Should Implement & Avoid
Posted On: February 20, 2017
Posted By: shalbyhospitals
Category: Eye Surgery
Our eye is like a camera. The natural lens in our eye helps us to see the beautiful world around. But just as even a slight disturbance or an error in the camera lens can spoil the image, similarly when the lens of our eye gets clouded up, it creates haziness or even loss of vision. This act of clouding is called Cataract.
Cataract hinders the light falling on the lens and causes blurring of vision, sensitivity to glare and reading difficulties. It occurs due to many reasons, the most common is old age. While some are born with it, it may also happen as a result of other medical conditions or due to an eye injury. Cataract is removed with a surgery in which the clouded lens is operated and replaced with a clear plastic lens which will slowly become a part of your eye. In case both your eyes have cataract, the surgery will be performed on each eye at separate times, usually four to eight weeks apart.
Cataract surgery though, has a high success rate, it's good to keep few things in mind about what to implement and avoid before and after the cataract surgery procedure. Let's go through it:
Preoperative care – You will be required to undergo a physical examination to check whether your blood pressure, heart, blood sugar are all in normal rates or not. Also, you should be free from wheezing and chest infection. You can eat and drink before coming to the hospital. Tension, fear are normal, but try to calm yourself, as cataract surgery is a small operation. To feel better, talk to someone who has had a cataract surgery.
Postoperative care – After surgery, you may experience slight itching or sensitivity of the eye, but it is advisable to avoid touching, rubbing or pressing your eye. The eye may appear red or swollen and even the vision may be blurry at first, but it will improve soon.
- Wash your hands before you instill eye drops. Always shake the eye drop bottle before use and follow the instructions to avoid any kind of infection or inflammation
- Keep a time gap in case of one or more eye drops and close the eye for 30 to 60 seconds immediately for the drops to absorb well
- Wear a protective eye cover or eye patch while sleeping to prevent from accidentally rubbing the operated eye
- Use UV protected sunglasses to protect your eye from direct sunlight as well as the harmful rays of the sun
- You can bathe and wash your hair the next day but try not to get the soap or water into the eye for at least one week
- You can eat everything after the surgery but try to stay away from foods that may cause constipation, to avoid forceful pressure during bowel movements
- Visit your eye specialist as per the advice for an evaluation. In case of any issue, it is advisable to consult the doctor as soon as possible
- Eye irritation, discharge after surgery, slight pain are common but try not to treat yourself. Do not rub or itch, you can take Paracetamol for pain but if the pain is not relieved, see the doctor
- Don’t bend from the waist to pick up anything as it can build pressure on your eyes. Try bending from knees
- Do not lift any heavy weights for a week after surgery. Avoid any kind of sports or strenuous exercises
- Avoid outdoor activities and crowded or dusty places, as the eye is very sensitive and is prone to infection
- For women patients, it is advisable to stay away from eye makeup or any kind of harmful chemicals for a week after surgery
The Cataract Surgery is not a complicated operation, it only requires crucial and complete care. The success relies on the best expertise and the patient's cooperation. So, consult and treat under the finest Ophthalmologist in Ahmedabad
at Shalby Hospitals that has one of the best Eye & Glaucoma departments in Ahmedabad & India.
For more details, please visit goo.gl/iSrGR5
Contact: +91 9824099953 /+91 79 40203144 / +91 98240 9953