A Guide to Maintaining Bone Health as You Age
Posted On: December 27, 2022
Posted By: Shalby Team
Category: Orthopedic & Trauma
Ageing can be a phase in one's life that brings about changes that our body might feel overwhelmed about. As is the case with most things in life, we feel scared of what we do not know.
When it comes to our bone health, ageing is an agent that causes changes which are preventable and can be managed easily with the help of lifestyle changes and healthy habits. It is undeniable that as we age, our bones generally lose resilience.
The peak bone mass density is reached by the age of 30. Following that, it usually loses more bone mass than it gains. Osteoporosis is a common ailment that people experience as they age. However, there are many things we can do to avoid falls and fractures even as we age. Let us look through some of the tips and suggestions that people must adhere to if they want to maintain good bone health — even with ageing.
Tips To Maintain Good Bone Health
1. Regular Exercise
Your bones and muscles begin to weaken when you don't move about. One of the best ways to maintain bone health and fitness is by practising aerobics, muscle-strengthening routines, and strength-building. You can also lift weights, participate in fun activities like dancing or Zumba. You can also incorporate yoga into your lifestyle for effective changes.
2. Dietary Lifestyle
As people age, some notice a decrease in their appetite. It may be more challenging to obtain the nutrients you require to support good muscles and bones if you eat less. You must incorporate the following dietary practices to ensure you're getting enough nutrients, minerals, vitamins that strengthen the bones and ensure vitality of health:
- Consuming foods and beverages that are high in vitamin D and calcium is one way to ensure consistent bone health. For instance, you can incorporate low-fat milk, soy, soy products, fish, legumes, veggies, and nuts into your diet as they are excellent calcium sources.
- As for beverages, besides milk, the best source of calcium is plant-based soy drinks.
- According to studies, eating too little protein lowers the body's ability to absorb calcium and may also alter how quickly bones are made and broken down. Increased protein intake in the diet may assist in maintaining bone mass while dieters are losing weight.
3. Say No to Low-Calorie Diet
It's never a smart idea to reduce calories too drastically. It can be detrimental to bone strength, slow down metabolism, cause a surge in hunger, and lead to muscle mass loss. Therefore, eating a well-balanced meal is your best friend.
4. Other Ways to Ensure Bone Health
- Collagen Supplements might be a good way to implement better bone health.
- You might want to quit smoking or limit your alcohol consumption. Women should limit their alcohol consumption to one drink per day, while males should limit their alcohol consumption to two drinks per day, according to medical recommendations.
- Periodic bone density assessments and medical check-ups as people age
Shalby Hospitals — Best Orthopaedic Hospital in Jaipur
Shalby Hospitals is a world-renowned name in the field of Orthopedics. It houses the best orthopaedic doctors in Jaipur, India. As an establishment with over 30 years of experience and rich goodwill, Shalby Hospitals is passionately committed to patient care and hence we provide the best treatment.
To ensure bone health and further maintain them as you age, you can always consult the best doctors at Shalby Multispecialty Hospitals and/or avail services that evaluate your current bone density and strength. Additionally, you may seek other orthopaedic services and facilities, especially if you're suffering from arthritis, spinal disorders, fractures, etc. You might also want to seek professional assistance, to guide you through the stages of bone density and strength across your lifecycle.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Shalby Hospitals (Shalby Limited) is recognised as a multispecialty hospital chain in the Indian healthcare industry. Dr Vikram I. Shah established the first hospital in 1994 in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Dr. Shah has been felicitated by Ethicon India for the development…View
Center Of Excellence
- Organ Donation
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Hair Transplant
- Liver Transplant in India
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility and IVF
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Gastroentero Surgery
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- ENT Surgery
- Knee Joint Replacement
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Radiology and Imaging
- Spine Surgery
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Neuro Science
- Obesity Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury