What are Cochlear Implants and how do the work?
Posted On: April 25, 2022
Posted By: Shalby Team
Category: ENT Surgery
An electronic device that restores hearing ability partially is known as a cochlear implant. Unlike other hearing aids that amplify the sound, the best ENT surgeon in Ahmedabad or in any city in India places a cochlear implant into the ear to deliver sound signals to the hearing nerve. These implants are specifically beneficial for those with severe hearing loss or who are not helped by hearing aids.
Why do you need a Cochlear Implant?Your ENT specialist in Ahmedabad will recommend cochlear implant surgery if you:
- Have severe or profound hearing loss in both ears.
- Got little or no benefit from hearing aids.
- Have no medical problems that could put them at risk during surgery.
- Have a desire to communicate through listening and speaking.
- An external part that hooks over the ear.
- An internal part that is surgically implanted into the ear.
- Create an incision behind your ear and make a small hole in the portion of your skull to fit the internal device.
- Create a small opening in the cochlea (inner ear) to connect the electrode to the internal device.
- Close the incisions.
- Adjust the sound processor in the external device.
- Check the components of the implant and ensure it's working.
- Determine the sounds you mostly hear.
- Set the device so that you can hear properly.
- Brief you about the care and use of the device.
How do Cochlear Implants work?A cochlear implant is made up of two main components:
What Happens During Cochlear Implant Surgery in Ahmedabad?The top hospitals in Ahmedabad will conduct a thorough medical evaluation to determine if you are a good fit. Once confirmed, the surgeon will:
- You may feel a little discomfort in the ear after the surgery. The symptoms, however, are temporary and will subside in a few hours.
The audiologist will not activate the implant for at least 2-6 weeks post-surgery, as the surgery will need time to heal.
To activate the implant an audiologist will:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Shalby Hospitals (Shalby Limited) is recognised as a multispecialty hospital chain in the Indian healthcare industry. Dr Vikram I. Shah established the first hospital in 1994 in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Dr. Shah has been felicitated by Ethicon India for the development…View
Center Of Excellence
- Organ Donation
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Hair Transplant
- Liver Transplant in India
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility and IVF
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Gastroentero Surgery
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Emergency Medicine
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- ENT Surgery
- Knee Joint Replacement
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Radiology and Imaging
- Spine Surgery
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Neuro Science
- Obesity Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury