All You Need to Know About Digital Spine Surgery
Posted On: April 29, 2022
Spine conditions can be crippling. Some spinal conditions can be treated by medications, exercise, and lifestyle changes. The severe conditions, however, require surgical methods. The traditional open surgery accounts for more complications, increased hospital stay, post-surgical pain and pronounced discomfort. This is the main reason why a lot of patients with spinal problems (even though with surmount pain) shy away from surgeries. The patients expect to have minimal post-surgical complications that can solve their condition.
That’s exactly where digital spine surgery steps in. Our spine specialists in Ahmedabad with their tremendous success rates ventured into a new domain of surgery. Our minimally invasive and digital surgery has benefited several patients with spine disorders around the globe. With our surgical interventions, the patients are getting treated and bypassing the side effects of traditional surgeries.
What is Minimally Invasive Surgery?
As the name suggests, this minimally invasive surgery allows your spine surgeon to restrict the number of cuts or incisions on your body. Unlike traditional open surgery that involves making long cuts, the spine surgeon in Ahmedabad uses varied methods to operate with less damage to the body.
Our team has amplified the minimally invasive approach by incorporating digital technology and providing accurate digital spine surgery.
What is Digital Spine Surgery?
Digital spine surgery is an amalgamation of four components:
- Digital operation theatre.
- Computer-guided navigation system.
- High-definition cameras.
- High-definition surgical microscopes.
Our advanced operation theatre is equipped with the latest and cutting-edge technology to integrate images, information, and workflow in the OR. The computer-guided navigation system allows the surgeon to track the alignment of the surgical procedure and enhance surgical accuracy. With the help of this system, our surgeons can investigate even complex spinal conditions.
The heart of our digital spine surgery lies in our high-definition cameras and microscopes. These cameras and microscopes provide razor-sharp images in HD quality that allows improved evaluation during surgery. Furthermore, the microscope also offers an unprecedented range of comfortable working positions even at extreme surgical approach angles which reduces surgeon fatigue.
How is Digital Spine Surgery Performed?
The digital spine surgery is performed in the following steps:
1. During the process, the surgeons use computer-assisted imaging which guides them to view the surgery site with extreme clarity as compared to the conventional visualization techniques.
2. Moreover, implants like rods or screws are also inserted and placed with greater accuracy.
3. In this imaging process type, images that are taken pre-operatively are then merged with images taken during the surgery process. This produces real-time glimpses of the structural positioning and orientation of the surgery site when the surgery is being performed.
4. For imaging, the surgeons usually use pre-operative computed tomography (CT) and intra-operative fluoroscopy (real-time X-ray). These methods allow the surgeons to perform the surgery with a higher level of accuracy and safety.
5. Based on the findings, the surgeon will make a small incision through either of the three approaches:
- Anterior approach: This approach calls for a surgeon to access your spine from the front side of your body, via your abdomen.
- Posterior approach: In this approach type, the surgeon will make the surgical incision in the back.
- Lateral approach: In this approach, the surgeon will make the surgical path to the spine from your side.
6. Once an incision is made, the surgeon will continue with the procedure to treat your spine.
What Are the Benefits of Digital Spine Surgery?
Digital spine surgery prevents the complications associated with traditional open surgery. It is more efficient, less time-consuming, and offers the following benefits:
- Small incisions.
- Less pain.
- Low risk of infection.
- Short hospital stays.
- Quick recovery time.
- Reduced blood loss.
- Less scarring.
- Least damage to normal body tissues.
- Least disturbance to the physiology of the spine.
We are one of the best hospitals in Ahmedabad, recognized for our advanced medical procedures and technology for conducting critical surgeries. Dr Niraj Vasavda, the pioneer of minimally invasive spine surgery holds expertise in complex spine surgery, spine deformity surgeries, endoscopic spine surgeries, and revision spine surgeries. With 15 years of surgical experience and an extensive experience of 4000+ surgeries, Dr Niraj is a leading spine surgeon in the country. Under the guidance of Dr Vasavada, our department of Spine excels in treating various complicated conditions.
With us, the patients no longer have to bear surgical complications and post-operative pain. Our team of excellent surgeons, doctors, and nurses leave no stone unturned in treating our patients. Know more about us here.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Center Of Excellence
- Spine Surgery
- Radiology and Imaging
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Plastic Surgery
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Organ Donation
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Obesity Surgery
- Neuro Science Department
- Nephrology – Dialysis Kidney Transplant
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Liver Transplant in India
- Knee Joint Replacement
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Infertility and IVF
- Infectious Diseases
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Hair Transplant
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Gastroentero Surgery
- ENT Surgery
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Emergency Medicine
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury
- Arthroplasty/TKR & Hip Replacement