All About Liver Transplant
Posted On: June 26, 2020
The liver is one of the most important organs in the body, which detoxifies many metabolites, synthesizes proteins, and produces biochemicals essential for digestion. Further, this organ is also responsible for performing many other functions like regulating glycogen storage, decomposing RBCs (Red Blood Cells) and producing hormones. If the liver functions fail, a short-term solution is to go for liver dialysis to make it function properly. Though scientists are researching to develop artificial livers that can function like a natural liver, there’s no long-term treatment or solution to this problem as of now. The only possible treatment is liver transplantation.
Cost of Liver Transplant in India
On average, the cost of liver transplant in India an indicative range would be somewhere between INR 20 lakh – INR 30 lakh. This cost is significantly very less when compared to the cost of the same treatment and care in hospitals in developed countries.
There may be a variation of +/- 5-percent in this liver transplant cost depending on several factors like the kind of liver transplant surgery, the hospital, the patient’s overall health condition, medical reports and treatment duration (pre-treatment, during treatment and post-treatment conditions). Since the exact treatment cost varies depending on these factors, it’s advised that patients or their guardians discuss the liver transplant cost before the surgery.
When compared to the liver transplant cost in countries like the US, UK, Turkey, Thailand or Singapore, the cost in India is just a fraction of the cost in these countries. However, there’s no difference in the infrastructure, quality of care given by the medical team, hospitality, the expertise of the surgeons or the success rates. This is why India is the most preferable destination for patients who want to undergo liver transplant surgery at an affordable cost.
When it comes to liver transplant surgeries, low-cost treatment in India has become a benchmark across the world. Abiding by the global standards of medical services at a reasonable cost, the expert liver transplant surgeons at Shalby Hospitals are known for their proven track record of success. Patients looking forward to successful liver transplantation at the most reasonable cost can approach this hospital.
What are the Common Reasons for Liver Transplantation?
As discussed earlier, patients with liver failure have no other long-term solution than liver transplantation. The most common reasons to go for liver transplantation are:
- Final stage of Cirrhosis due to chronic hepatitis, alcoholic cirrhosis, primary biliary sclerosis or hemochromatosis.
- Genetic liver disorders
- Liver cancers like primary hepatocellular carcinoma, hepatic adenoma, Cholangiocarcinoma and primary hepatocellular malignancies
- Fulminant hepatic failure caused due to hepatic thrombosis, Fulminant viral hepatitis
Who are the Candidates for Liver Transplantation?
Patients suffering from irreversible chronic or acute liver disorders are prospective candidates for liver transplant surgery. Your doctor would be able to evaluate precisely whether you are fit to undergo the surgery based on your health conditions. You would need to undergo a diagnostic procedure and based on the test results and doctor’s advice it would be possible to determine whether you can go for liver transplantation or not. Besides your health condition, your emotional and financial aspects are also important factors to consider.
Who are Not Suitable for Liver Transplant?
If you are suffering from any of the below-listed conditions (also called absolute contraindications), you would not qualify for a liver transplant as it is not likely to be successful.
- Cancer in an organ, other than liver
- AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)
- Advanced liver cancer (metastatic cancer)
- Alcoholic liver disorder along with not being able to refrain from alcohol consumption for the previous six months
- Active substance abuse
- Serious active infection
- Advanced lung or heart disease
- Permanent brain dysfunction
Why Choose India for Liver Transplantation?
India is the best place to undergo liver transplantation for several reasons:
- Liver transplant is an expensive treatment all across the globe. However, when compared to the other countries, the cost in India is considerably less – in fact, it’s just a fraction of what it costs in other countries like the US and the UK. This is the most compelling reason to choose India for liver transplantation.
- Reasonable cost doesn’t mean compromising on treatment. The liver transplant surgeons in India possess the expertise and are highly experienced in handling this treatment with high success rates.
- The technologies used are highly advanced like in any other developed country.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Center Of Excellence
- Radiology and Imaging
- Pulmonology and Chest
- Plastic Surgery
- Pathology And Microbiology
- Paediatrics and Neonatology
- Paediatric Orthopaedics
- Orthopaedic and Trauma
- Organ Donation
- Ophthalmology and Glaucoma
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Obesity Surgery
- Neuro Science Department
- Nephrology – Dialysis Kidney Transplant
- Maxillofacial Surgery
- Liver Transplant in India
- Knee Joint Replacement
- Intensive and Critical Care
- Infertility and IVF
- Infectious Diseases
- Hip Joint Replacement
- Hair Transplant
- General Surgery
- General Medicine
- Gastroentero Surgery
- ENT Surgery
- Endoscopy and Laparoscopy
- Endocrinology – Diabetology
- Emergency Medicine
- Dental Cosmetic and Implantology
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Arthroscopy – Sports Injury
- Arthroplasty/TKR & Hip Replacement